Spending hours in the kitchen in winter during the week is not really ideal. So I have compiled a few winter recipes that are quick to prepare but also hearty and filling. Trying out new things out of the ordinary will keep your family happy in this cold weather.
Sicilian Olive Chicken
This saucy one-skillet chicken dish is full of tomatoes, spinach, olives and capers. Try Kalamata olives in place of the green Sicilians or a combination of both. Serve over the pasta of your choice with a mixed green salad on the side.
• 1 can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil or other Italian-style seasoning
• 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
• 1/3 cup halved Sicilian or other green olives
• 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
• 4 chicken breast fillets
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Combine tomatoes, spinach, olives, capers and crushed red pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on one side, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn it over; top with the tomato mixture. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Makes: 4 servings
Total time: 20 minutes
This is surely one recipe I would like to try, even though I’m not so gifted in the kitchen this looks easy enough. If You have any specialty winter recipes to share please feel free to comment and I will feature it.
By: Zanele Mash